More Spraying Information from the Dept. of Health

Targeted Mosquito Spraying to Lower the Risk of EEE

To: Vermont Healthcare Providers, Hospitals and Ambulatory Care Centers

From: Harry Chen MD, Commissioner of Health

– Please Distribute Widely –

A total of five mosquito pools collected in the swampy area of Whiting in southern Addison County have tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus.

In 2012, with comparable mosquito findings, there were two human fatalities from EEE in that part of Vermont. Because the risk for EEE will continue for several more weeks until there is a hard frost, I have made a determination of significant public health risk requiring aerial application of pesticide to protect public health. The goal is to reduce the amount of virus by interrupting the bird-mosquito-bird cycle to reduce the risk for human illness.

Weather permitting, aerial spraying of the pesticide Anvil 10+10 (Sumithrin and piperonyl butoxide) is planned for Thursday, August 22 and again on Tuesday, August 27 from dusk to approximately 11 p.m. The pesticide will be sprayed in very low volume concentrations from a fixed-wing aircraft. The area to be treated is limited to a two mile radius centered on the swampy area north of Stickney Road in Whiting. This area is sparsely populated. In case of rain, the operation could be postponed. If the spray is delayed because of weather, updated information will be announced through the news and posted on the Health Department website.

Adverse effects from exposure to this product are uncommon. However, if you see patients with health problems contact the Health Department at 1-800-640-4374.

Adverse health effects may include:

 Nausea, headaches and dizziness

 Loss of coordination

 Tremors or tingling and numbness in areas of skin contact

 Irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, throat or lung

 Vomiting or central nervous system depression

For more information on the planned mosquito spraying and recommendations for Vermonters about precautions, go to or call 211.